Democracy in Action! March 2018
Democracy allows everyone to have their voices heard; people from a group or community choose who they would like to represent them and put forward their views. We joined our friends from Hackness school at the Town Hall in Scarborough to debate the pros and cons of social media. Before the Mayor and other local members of the council, we bravely put forward our viewpoints and endured a tough 'question and answer' session with children from other local schools. It was a wonderful experience and gave us valuable first hand experience of how important subjects are discussed by local politicians. Our amazing team were runners-up to St.Martins school and Esme was chosen as the best female debater in the whole competition! We are very proud of all the pupils who took part!
What is SMSC?
SMSC is about developing the whole person. As our pupils move through the school, we are committed to developing not only their academic standards and level of achievement, but also their spiritual, moral, social and cultural awareness. We aim to provide opportunities for our children to form their own identity; sense of place and purpose, giving them the confidence to question and discover who they are in the world and face the exciting challenges that lie ahead. Being a church school adds another dimension to our SMSC provision as our Christian ethos permeates all aspects of school life and underpins our values and mission.
British values are embedded in the work of the school and they are defined as:
· The rule of law
· Individual liberty
· Mutual respect
· Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development at Wykeham
At Wykeham we offer a variety of ways we help our children with their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, including developing British Values. This information gives an outline of the broad range of SMSC provision at Wykeham Church of England Primary School. It highlights our exciting extra-curricular activities and stimulating teaching and learning opportunities that we aim to deliver.
What is SMSC?
SMSC is spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. As our pupils grow and progress through school we are committed to ensure that they achieve their full potential academically but also understand the importance of progressing spiritually, morally, culturally and socially in order to be prepared for life in modern Britain and so that they can develop as a whole child. The creative and unique curriculum and Wykeham ensures that children are encouraged to grow in all of these areas. Our core aims and values are reflective of spiritual, moral, social and cultural development by teaching perseverance, resilience, independence and fundamental British values. We are proud to be a church school, a Christian ethos is what underpins everything we do at Wykeham and we have a close relationship with the church and local community.
· Children are given opportunity to explore and appreciate values and beliefs, including those of other religions.
· Children are given opportunity to understand human feelings and emotions, the effects of them and the importance of understanding them.
· We encourage all our children to expand on learning by asking open ended questions
· Collective Worship is integral to daily life at Wykeham.
· We have a clear moral code which is consistent through school and reflective of our strong Christian ethos.
· We promote measures to prevent discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age and other criteria through collective worship and our engaging curriculum.
· We encourage children to take responsibility for their actions through our coherent behaviour policy and restorative practice.
· We foster a sense of community with common inclusive values that ensure that everyone, irrespective of ethnic origin, nationality, gender, ability, sexual orientation and religion feel safe and happy in order to reach their full potential.
· Our collective worship focuses on topics to embolden children to develop personal qualities for example respect, kindness, forgiveness.
· Our curriculum is centred around creativity allowing children to learn collaboratively through the arts and our forest schools area.
· We provide opportunities for pupils to explore their own cultural assumptions and values
· We present authentic accounts of the attitudes, values and traditions of diverse cultures.
· We extend pupils’ knowledge and use of cultural image and language recognising and nurturing particular gifts and talents through our exciting sports opportunities and extra-curricular activities.
SMSC runs through all aspects of the teaching and learning and is the foundation of our whole school ethos. Below is a snapshot of the wide ranging SMSC provision that we at Wykeham C of E Primary School provide. The school newsletter and website further show SMSC in action.